Welcome and Happy Friday! Today is a real treat on the Blog. Rebecca Luminarias is here and really needs no introduction as she is well known for her creative uses of product and her eye candy projects!! But just incase you haven't seen or heard of her. You may want to prepare yourself -teehee! Today's post is pretty much Amazingness!!
Hey there! Rebecca Luminarias (aka Thurston Post) guesting this month at The Stamp Market. I'm over the moon to be here, especially with all of these autumn goodies releasing now! Fall is my favorite season and it's the time of year when I find myself overflowing with creative ideas. It wasn't difficult AT ALL to play with TSM stamps and dies.
Today I'm sharing some packaging and an autumn banner. I really meant to have only a pretty gift bag for the post, but at the absolute last minute, I got a wild hare to make something to put inside it, thus the garland was born. I must say that that was a wild hare of the best kind!
Let's talk about the gift bag first. To start, I lay a 5"x7" muslin bag out flat and stamped "Happy" on it. You can find that stamp in the Holiday Hellos set. This was the very first thing I made with the release products and I was definitely inspired by the fall designs, so I then stamped 'FALL' underneath it in an orangy-yellow. I've been preparing my own stash of autumn-inspired embellishments, with ochre, navy blue, blush pink, and teal sitting atop this year's go-to color scheme, so I definitely drew from those to create my pieces today.
The last of the stamping was to add a few teal scattered leaves, these pretty ones from the Banners For You set. If you're stamping on fabric like this, I suggest always testing your inks and images first, as certain ones fare better than others, even when they are from the same manufacturer.
I love to have several layers of tags and trims when I do up a bag such as this one, so I took one look at the Turning Leaves dies and knew I'd be using them. The question was, how? I've been a long-time fan of textures, especially adding lace and other fabrics to my paper projects. My first idea was to create some leaves out of lace. It can sometimes be tricky to get a clean fabric cut with dies so I layered navy blue and off-white lace over kraft chipboard, then ran both through my Big Shot cutting machine. I ran them through roughly 6 passes back and forth for a clean cut. (It was probably overkill, but I didn't want to take any chances!)
What ended up happening was that the lace kind of 'stuck' to the chipboard and I was struck by how pretty the it looked against the kraft. It also added weight and stiffness so I made the decision to use them in this way. To ensure that the lace didn't separate from it's chipboard piece, I added some dabs of glue to each piece. I then punched a 1/8" hole in the stem of the largest leaf and the next size down and strung them through one tie of the bag. These are the base for my stack of embellishments and are followed by a duo of embroidery floss tassels, then one more smaller lacy-kraft leaf, and one more tassel.
To finish, I stamped "have yourself a" on a scrap of white card stock, added a thin strip of glitter tape, and strung this last piece onto the bag. Tucking in a few lengths of lace of seam binding, I tied the whole bundle together...and this is when I decided there should be something fall-ish to put inside.
I *almost* went to the store to buy something to put inside when it occurred to me that I already had all the necessary items needed to make it myself. I have Banner dies in multiple sizes, plus the leaves...how difficult would it really be to make a fall garland?
As it turns out, it wasn't difficult at all, and as a last-minute project, it's much prettier than I imagined! (In fact, it's still hanging up where I photographed it as I don't want to take it down and give it away!)
I cut 5 large and 5 smaller leaves out of the chipboard and lace again, with the idea to alternate the color pairings between FALL letters. I trimmed banners from book pages, which I again backed with the kraft chipboard to make them sturdy, as my book paper is very flimsy. I matted the bigger banners with the next size down, trimming those from a length of muslin fabric. Choosing some glitter foam alphas to spell F-A-L-L, I glued all of my pieces together, including adding a bit more glue to the alphas.
The most difficult part of this project was deciding how to put it all together. In the end, I decided that jute twine and bitty clothespins were the way to go. Around each pair of leaf stems, I tied the twine. I wrapped the first set, tied a double knot in the back, then clipped the banner letter, following this pattern to the last set of leaves. You can fuss with the placement of each leaf pair and banner as you go, or wait until the end to do this
To finish, I glued the orangy-yellow embroidery floss bows (the color is DMC 3852) to the outer leaves, and placed seam binding streamers behind the F and second L banners. I'm afraid my photographs don't do justice to this banner--it really is so pretty for fall!
I heard the Banners For You dies are going fast so be sure to grab a set ASAP so you can make some pretty autumn decor, too! Thank you so much, Amy and The Stamp Market, for having me this month! I'm totally smitten!
*paper stuffs made with heart + hand